NORTH PACIFIC WOMEN’S ACTION PROGRAM
We are pleased to announce the 2016 North Pacific Women’s Action Program, hosted in partnership between the East-West Center and the New Zealand Consulate-General in Honolulu, Hawaii. This program is open to women from the Federated States of Micronesia and the Republic of the Marshall Islands who are active in their communities and interested in creating and supporting positive local initiatives.
The North Pacific Women’s Action Program works with women to develop their ability to begin, support, and grow activities that address community needs and support community wellbeing. Through a three-day workshop, participants learn and practice approaches for informed effective action around important community issues. Ultimately, the program seeks to increase women’s participation in their communities and in local decision-making.
- Nominations are accepted through 31 May 2016
- Selected nominees will be contacted by the East-West Center in May and June
- Nominators and other recommenders may also be contacted by the East-West Center in May and June
- Participants will be selected and notified on or before 22 June 2016
- One three-day workshop will take place in Chuuk (FSM, July 27-30, 2016), Pohnpei (FSM, August 2-5, 2016), and Majuro (RMI, August 5-11, 2016).
- Ideal nominees for this program should be:
- Able and interested to participate in a three-day, active workshop, including travel to and from the workshop venue
- Willing to engage with other women and work together to explore ideas and possibilities for community action and change
- Women who “helps things happen” or “gets things done,” and who tend to provide support out of public view or from “backstage"
- Established in their local communities (active in their neighborhoods, churches, etc.) and planning to remain in their communities
- Curious and interested to try new techniques, offer opinions, and critically evaluate “the way things are” and “the ways things could be"
- Willing to work for community action and change, despite resistance or limited resources
- Proficient in spoken English (the workshop is in English; however English literacy is not critical
- At least 30 years old as of 1 June 2016
KEY PROGRAM DETAILS
This program is offered by the East-West Center, with financial support from the New Zealand Consulate-General in Honolulu, Hawaii. For each workshop, up to 20 women from across the Federated States of Micronesia and the Republic of the Marshall Islands will be selected as participants. Workshops are active and participatory; they are designed so that participants can use and share the tools and ideas in their communities. Travel costs to and from the workshop venue, lodging and meals will be covered.
Nomination forms are available here.
For more information, please contact the East-West Center's Pacific Islands Women in Leadership team at PIWIL@eastwestcenter.org