Hale Manoa is a 13-floor student dormitory serviced by two elevators. Certain floors or units are designated for male-only or female-only room assignments. Other areas are coeducational. Rooms are arranged in clusters, with each cluster or unit consisting of a combination of double and single rooms. Each living unit has shared bathroom facilities. Communal kitchen facilities and coin-operated laundry machines are located on each common floor. Other amenities include individual mailboxes, daily newspapers in the common area, snack/beverage vending machines and ice machines. In addition, residents have access to lounges for TV viewing and small meetings or social functions. Hale Manoa also has a music room with a piano, pool table and ping pong table that are shared by residents in both dormitories.
Hale Kuahine is a four-floor student dormitory with no elevator. Physical arrangements are similar to Hale Manoa, and each living unit has shared bathroom facilities. The communal kitchen facilities, lounge, and laundry machines are located on the ground floor. Hale Kuahine has similar amenities as those listed above.
Rooms contain a desk, dresser, chair, bed, study lamp, telephone, fan, clock radio, bookshelf and closet space. Linen and bedding (including pillow, blanket, bedspread, two sheets, and a pillow slip) are provided. You may want to bring a towel with you from home, or purchase a set from local stores or the housing office. A towel set is available for purchase in the dormitories and includes a bath towel, washcloth, and small bar of soap for $5.00.
Single and Double Room Floor Plan
Dormitory living is communal living. Please familiarize yourself with the following protocols so as to avoid future conflict or confrontation with fellow dormitory residents.
Important Phone Numbers
Hale Manoa Front Desk 944-7960
Hale Kuahine Front Desk 944-7813
- Report maintenance problems to the front desk. They will pass on the information to the correct person/office.
- Floors, tables, and sink strainers need to be thoroughly cleaned after each use.
- If using a community refrigerator, label all food items and use space as efficiently as possible.
- Never take food that does not belong to you.
- Please do not leave faucets running when you are finished using them. We live on an island with limited fresh water supplies.
- Keep the bathrooms clean.
- Flush the toilet after each use!
- Do not wash dirty dishes in the bathroom sinks.
- Since many of the bathrooms are shared by both men and women, please respect each other's privacy.
- Do not use bathroom facilities when occupied by the opposite gender. The "Ladies" or "Gentlemen" sign on the door can be flipped over to indicate which gender is currently using the bathroom.
- For the safety of other residents, please do not allow water to splash on the floor. If water does pool on the floor, mop it up before leaving the bathroom.
- Empty your washing and drying loads as soon as they are done so that the machines are available for the next person.
- Be sure to take all your clothing and laundry products with you when you are done.
- Keep noise levels to a minimum -- especially after 11:00 p.m. Do not speak excessively or loudly in the hallways, bathrooms, and kitchens. Noise from slammed doors, loud telephone conversations, radios, and televisions can also be overheard from neighboring dormitory rooms.
- Hale Manoa and Hale Kuahine are designated non-smoking areas. This includes individual dormitory rooms. Smoke detectors installed in all rooms may be set off by cigarette smoke.
If you are interested in a room change, fill out a "Room Preference Form" available at the front desk. These forms are then forwarded to the Reservations Office who will contact you when rooms become available (allow at least two weeks). Please be patient as it is difficult to accommodate all requests due to dormitories being full.