The Asian Development Bank - Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP) provides support for graduate (post-baccalaureate) studies in ADB-approved fields of study at the University of Hawai'i at Manoa (UHM), and for participation in the educational, residential, and leadership development programs at the East-West Center (EWC).
The ADB-JSP was established to encourage and strengthen human resource development in ADB's developing member countries. After completing their studies, scholars are expected to return to their home countries to apply and share their new knowledge and skills to promote socioeconomic development.
To make certain you are eligible to apply for the ADB-JSP Scholarship please read carefully all of the ADB eligibility requirements, criteria for selection, and Frequently Asked Questions on the ADB-JSP website and the EWC website.
The deadline for the 2017-2018 fellowship application has passed.
Fellowships are awarded annually in an international competition. To apply for study beginning in the 2018-2019 academic year, the deadline is November 1, 2017. Please see below for the 2017-2018 application materials, which are archived for your reference. The updated application will be posted sometime in early 2017.
Application Packet (includes program information, eligibility requirements instructions and forms) [pdf]
To download the application forms as separate files, click below:
- Eligibility Requirements [pdf] [doc]
- Steps for Submitting an Acceptable ADB-JSP application [pdf] [doc]
- Overview and Application Information [pdf] [doc]
- Application Checklist [pdf] [doc]
- Application Form Instructions [pdf] [doc]
- Application Form [pdf] [form-fillable doc]
- Cover Letter and Essays [pdf] [doc]
- Letter of Reference Form (Academic or Professional) & Instructions [pdf] [form-fillable doc]
- Letter of Reference Form (Civic Engagement) & Instructions [pdf] [form-fillable doc]
- Verification of Funds [pdf] [form-fillable doc] - provide only if you also want to be considered for the East-West Center Graduate Degree Fellowship
Attention: Applicants seeking admission to any Business program or to the Law program should not use the Graduate Admission Application Form. The application forms for these fields must be obtained from the respective programs.
- UHM Notice to Applicants
- UHM Graduate Admissions Application Instructions
- UHM Graduate Admissions Application Form (includes the UHM Credit Card Payment Form for those applying for independent consideration)
- UHM Statement of Objectives Form
Area of Study and Required Test Scores:
- Business Administration (Global MBA) --- GMAT and TOEFL or IELTS
- Business Administration (Global MBA - Japan Track) --- GMAT and TOEFL or IELTS
- Economics (MA) --- GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Geography (MA) --- GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Law (LLM Degree, a one-year program) --- TOEFL or IELTS
- Natural Resources and Environmental Management (MS) --- GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Ocean and Resources Engineering (MS) --- GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Oceanography (MS) --- GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Pacific Islands Studies (MA) --- TOEFL or IELTS
- Public Administration (MPA) --- TOEFL or IELTS
- Sociology (MA) --- GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Tropical Plant and Soil Sciences (MS) --- GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Urban and Regional Planning (MURP) --- TOEFL or IELTS
Note: As part of current efforts supporting human resource development in Myanmar, the ADB has approved an additional ADB scholarship for a finalist from Myanmar to pursue a Master's in Public Health. The MPH degree requires the following exams: TOEFL or IELTS and GRE).
Check the University of Hawai'i at Manoa website for details about the programs and areas of study listed above.
The basic eligibility requirements for the ADB-JSP scholarship are as follows. Applicants must:
- Be a citizen of a developing member country of the Asian Development Bank.
- Have a 4-year bachelor's degree or the equivalent of a 4-year Bachelor's degree, at the time of application. (An equivalent could be a 3-year Bachelor's degree plus a 1-year Master's degree, or a 2-year bachelor's degree plus a 2-year Master's degree. This is subject to review.)
- Have at least 2 years of full-time professional work experience after a university degree.
- Take one of the English proficiency tests; the minimum acceptable scores are 550 for the paper-based TOEFL; 213 for the computer-based TOEFL; and 79-80 for the internet-based TOEFL; or 6.5 for the IELTS.
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his/her home country are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Applicants with the following experience are not eligible for the ADB-JSP Scholarship:
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his/her home country
- Applicants who have already studied abroad, or may be seeking a second Master's degree
Carefully review the ADB-JSP Overview and Application Information document before beginning the application process.
Award Services Office/ADB-JSP
John A. Burns Hall, Room 2066
1601 East-West Road
Honolulu, Hawaii 96848-1601