Individuals who are citizens or permanent residents of the countries listed below may apply for the East-West Center Graduate Degree Fellowship:
- United States
- Pacific Region: American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Northern Marianas, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis & Futuna Islands
- Southeast Asia: Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Vietnam
- South Asia: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Iran, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
- East Asia: China, Hong Kong, Japan, Macau, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea, Russia, Taiwan
Bachelor's Degree and Grade Point Average
Before the start of the award, applicants for graduate programs must have obtained a 4-year bachelor's degree or its equivalent from an accredited U.S. college or university, or from a recognized institution of higher learning abroad. Generally, an applicant must have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (4.0=A scale) or the equivalent, in the last four semesters or six quarters of the undergraduate record and in all post-baccalaureate work.
East-West Center Graduate Degree Fellowships support graduate study at the University of Hawai‘i in fields relevant to the goals and objectives of the East-West Center. Because degree fellows are involved in programs at the East-West Center, as well as in advanced degree work at the University of Hawaii they have obligations to both institutions.
It is not necessary to obtain admission to a field of graduate study at the University of Hawai‘i before applying to the East-West Center. Application to both the University of Hawai‘i and East-West Center may be done concurrently by submitting both applications and all supproting documents directly to the East-West Center.
The deadline for the 2017-2018 fellowship application has passed.
Fellowships are awarded annually in an international competition. To apply for study beginning in the 2018-2019 academic year, the deadline is November 1, 2017. Please see below for the 2017-2018 application materials, which are archived for your reference. The updated application will be posted sometime in early 2017.
Links to Application Forms
Download application materials for the Graduate Degree Fellowship from the East-West Center website using the links provided here.
To download the application documents, click below:
- Application Guide
- Application Checklist
- Application Instructions & Form
- Essay Questions & Instructions
- Academic Letter of Reference Form & Instructions
- Civic Engagement Letter of Reference Form & Instructions
- Verification of Funds for Additional Expenses Form
To download only the forms (including the application form, letters of reference, and verification of funds form) as a separate PDF file, click below:
- GDF Application Forms (all)
If you are unable to download application materials from our website, or if you are unable to use these PDF files and wish to request a DOC version, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are not already enrolled in a University of Hawai‘i graduate degree program or if you plan to change your academic program, please also download a copy of the University of Hawai‘i Graduate Division Admission Application Instructions and an application form for each field of study you seek to enter. Do not use the Graduate Division Admission Application Form if you are seeking admission to any business program at the master's level, or a Law Program. The application form for these fields must be obtained from the respective program.
UH Graduate Degree Application Documents (to be updated August 2016)
These documents are to be submitted with the East-West Center GDF application forms; see the UHM Office of Graduate Education website for these and other forms.
- UHM Notice to Applicants
- UHM Graduate Admissions Application Instructions
- UHM Graduate Admissions Application Form (includes the UHM Credit Card Payment Form for those applying for independent consideration)
- UHM Statement of Objectives Form
Contact the appropriate University of Hawai‘i academic program and to find out what is needed to gain admission to that program and download required departmental application forms. More detailed information regarding program-specific forms can be found at individual UHM department websites.