SEOUL (June 20, 2012) – Several hundred journalists and media experts from more than 100 news organizations in 25 countries will gather in Seoul, South Korea June 22-24 to discuss the latest information on the impact of new and social media on events and news coverage in Asia and the Pacific.
The conference on the theme of “Networked News: How New Media Is Shaping Stories in Asia and the Pacific” will be covered online at a special website, EastWestCenter.org/IMC 2012. Visit the site to see news reports and video of keynote addresses, real-time social media coverage, session summaries and more.
A number of the conference sessions are expected to be streamed live online. Twitter users can also follow live tweets from the conference through the hashtag: #NetNews.
Featured speakers and panelists include:
- Victoria ESSER, Deputy U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for Digital Strategy
- Yoichi FUNABASHI, Chairman of the Rebuild Japan Initiative Foundation, and former Editor-in-Chief, Asahi Shimbun
- Jeff JARVIS, Author, “Public Parts: How Sharing in the Digital Age Improves the Way We Work and Live”
- Riyaad MINTY, Head of Social Media, Al Jazeera, Qatar
- Evgeny MOROZOV, Author, “The Net Delusion: The Dark Side of Internet Freedom”
- Nicole Rebecca SEAH Xue Ling, Singapore’s “Facebook candidate”
- Joe TRIPPI, US Political Strategist and author of “The Revolution Will Not Be Televised: Democracy, the Internet and the Overthrow of Everything.”
- Ambassador LIM Sungnam, the Republic of Korea’s Head of Delegation to the Six-Party Talks.
View the complete speaker’s list at:
An extensive roster of workshops and discussions featuring top experts will explore such topics as:
- New Media Lessons from Arab Spring & Fukushima
- Peers, Politics and Protests: How Social Media Is Transforming Societies, Governments and Elections
- Internet Freedom: People Power vs. Government
- North Korea: Issues and Coverage
- Reporting From the New Burma
- Forging U.S. Digital Diplomacy: Opportunities, Challenges & Impact
- Transforming Media in the Digital Age
View the complete conference schedule at:
For more conference details:
Co-hosts: Yonsei University, Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung.
Sponsors: Pacific Century Institute, Henry Luce Foundation, Google, Hyundai Motor Company, KT Corporation, Korea Foundation, University of Hong Kong Journalism and Media Studies Centre.
Official Business Paper: The Wall Street Journal Asia.
See sponsor page.