The Korea-United States Journalists Exchange, launched by the East-West Center in 2005, is co-sponsored by the Henry Luce Foundation and the Korea Press Foundation to increase public understanding of the two countries and their relationship. The program offers opportunities for six to eight Korean journalists to visit the United States and for six to eight United States journalists to visit Korea.
The Korean participants visit Washington D.C. and two other cities in the U.S. while the American participants visit Seoul and two to three other cities in South Korea. Following these study tours, all Korean and American journalists meet at the East-West Center in Honolulu to report on their experiences and to exchange opinions on how coverage of each country may be improved in the other.
In 2013, the East-West Center took seven Korean journalists to the United States. Please see US Professional Exchange for Korean Journalists for more details.
2012 Korea-United States Journalists Exchange
The East-West Center announces the 8th Korea-United States Journalists Exchange, scheduled for June 12 – 24, 2012. With presidential elections in both the US and South Korea and with recent approval of the Korea-US Free Trade Agreement, the 2012 Exchange will occur during an important time in the bilateral relationship. Additionally, at the end of the Exchange fellows will attend the East-West Center’s 3rd International Media Conference in Seoul, one of the largest media events in the region. This 3-day conference will look at “Networked News: How New Media Is Shaping Stories in Asia and the Pacific.”
The program sends six to seven Korean journalists to the United States and six to seven US journalists to South Korea. During the study tour, participants will meet with government officials, community and business leaders, educators and students, local journalists and others to gain insights on the many diverse issues and perspectives among Americans and Koreans that shape the relationship between their two countries.
After their study tours, the US and Korean journalists will meet for a one-day dialogue at the Korea Press Foundation in Seoul to discuss the relationship between their countries and how media coverage of US-Korea issues can be enhanced.
All participants will then attend the East-West Center’s 3rd International Media Conference in Seoul on June 22-24.
"Bridging the Gaps in Understanding between Korea and the United States: Impact of Presidential Elections and the FTA”
Plus “Networked News: How New Media Is Shaping Stories in Asia and the Pacific”
June 12 – 24, 2012
Seoul, Pusan and Kwangju in South Korea
Washington, DC and Denver, Colorado
East-West Center, the Henry Luce Foundation and the Korea Press Foundation.
The program covers all air transportation, lodging, and program-related ground transportation and meals for participating journalists
For more information on the Exchange and for a list of all East-West Center journalism fellowships and exchanges, see http://www.eastwestcenter.org/journalismfellowships
The 2012 Korea-United States Journalists Exchange participants:
- Mr. JaeHan BAE, Digital News Section, Digital Editor, Kookje Daily News, Busan
- Mr. MyungYong CHOI, Financial Analysis Team, Team Manager, The MoneyToday, Seoul
- Ms. ChungAhn KIM, Political News Desk, Reporter, DongA Ilbo, Seoul
- Mr. DongHo KIM, National Team, Team Leader, JoongAng Ilbo, Seoul
- Mr. SungJin KIM, Politics & Foreign Affairs Office, National Assembly Team Leader, KBS (Korean Broadcasting System), Seoul
- Mr. ChoongIl LEE, Newsroom, Senior Staff Writer, Chosun Ilbo, Seoul
- Mr. WonJe SON, Political News Desk, Staff Reporter, Hankyoreh Media Company, Seoul
- Mr. Richard Katz, Editor, The Oriental Economist Report, New York, NY
- Mr. Matthew Kaulbach, Producer, Fox News, New York, NY
- Ms. Erica Pearson, Immigration Reporter, New York Daily News, New York, NY
- Mr. Alan Silverleib, Congressional Producer, CNN, Washington, DC
- Ms. Ann Thompson, News Anchor/Reporter, WVXU Cincinnati Public Radio, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Mr. Ross Reynolds, Senior Host/Reporter, KUOW-FM, Seattle, Washington
- Mr. Peter Row, Senior Reporter/Columnist, U-T San Diego, California
1601 East-West Road
Honolulu, HI 96848, USA
Phone: 808-944-7682; Fax: 808-944-7600