• Eligibility:  First, meet with your scholarship coordinator to learn about eligibility requirements and guidelines on employment that may be part of your particular fellowship/scholarship program.  Once you know you are eligible to seek on-campus employment, follow the procedures below.


Procedures for Applying for On-Campus Student Employment at UHM After Meeting with your Scholarship Coordinator


Step 1. Log-in to the SECE Database: Make appointment(s) for interview(s). Upon receipt of offer(s), make decision on student employment.  If your position is offered directly from your department, RCUH, or another unit on campus, skip this step.


Step 2. Complete front top-half of pumpkin-colored EWC form Application for J-1 Student On-Campus Employment Authorization [form-fillable PDF] (also available from the Visa Office Wall).  Ask prospective employer to complete Certification of Offer of Employment section.


[Note:  If you are offered a half-time UHM Graduate Assistantship eligible for tuition/insurance benefits, please follow-up with Step 8.]


Step 3. Take completed form to EWC Scholarship Coordinator for approval. (Coordinator will forward to Visa Office for Employment Authorization Letter.) Visa Officer will e-mail student when letter is ready.
-Original letter will be faxed to UHM-SECE (if appropriate) or mailed to on-campus employer.
-Copies will be provided to Scholarship Coordinator and student.


Step 4. If you already have a Social Security Number, proceed to SECE with passport, DS-2019, I-94, and copy of employment authorization letter.  If you need to apply for a Social Security Number, please complete form SS-5 (Application for a Social Security Card) and proceed to the local Social Security Administration Office in the Federal Building, Rm. 1-114, 300 Ala Moana Blvd., Honolulu, HI 96813 with your passport, DS-2019, I-94, and copy of your employment authorization letter . Hours are M~F, 8:30 a.m. ~ 3:30 p.m. Tel: 1-800-772-1212 Website:[Suggestion: Bring reading material since you may need to stand in line for a couple of hours.]


Step 5. Upon receipt of your SSN in the mail (5~10 days after applying), proceed to SECE with passport, DS-2019, I-94, and copy of employment authorization letter.


Step 6. Inform EWC Disbursing Office of new Social Security Number.


Step 7. If you were previously assigned an ITIN, send a copy of your new Social Security Card with a copy of your ITIN Notice to the Internal Revenue Service, ITIN Unit, Philadelphia, PA  19255-0057 to cancel your ITIN.




The East-West Center’s APPLICATION FOR J-1 STUDENT ON-CAMPUS EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION includes UHM-verified eligibility for both these benefits.  These benefits, however, are not automatic and require the student to:


a)  Request the tuition waiver via the UHM Graduate Division’s GRADUATE ASSISTANT TUITION EXEMPTION REQUEST FORM


b)  Enroll via their UH Department for EUTF Insurance Coveragea.  The EWC Education Program will reimburse the student on fellowship for his/her portion of the premium upon presentation of the appropriate receipts to the Education Program Scholarship Support Assistant.  [Note:  The EUTF Plan is by far more comprehensive than the UHM Student Plan and may include dental and vision benefits.]


c)  The EUTF Insurance does not include RME coverage (a J status requirement), so J-1 students need to purchase RME insurance in conjunction with their EUTF coverage.  [Note:  One option is the $68/year plan from SOS via] The EWC Education Program will reimburse J-1 students on fellowship for the RME insurance fee as appropriate upon presentation of a receipt.


If under the EWC’ s J visa sponsorship, students need to provide in a timely manner to the Visa Office evidence of appropriate health/RME coverage for the period if not enrolled in the standard UHM Student Insurance Plan