The East-West Center in Washington seeks interns each semester who are interested in gaining a first-hand training experience in a US-Asia research and education organization in Washington, D.C. Internships are open to students and recent graduates; graduate students are particularly encouraged to apply.
Interns participate in a variety of activities that support Center programs, including work in research, writing and program support. Interns also have the opportunity to network with experts in their chosen fields through public forums held at the Center and at external organizations.
Interns are involved in many aspects of the Center’s work, including:
- Research for Center projects and publications
- Writing briefs of events at the Center and external organizations
- Tracking foreign policy events and issue areas in the media in Asia and Washington
- Research assistance to visiting fellows, many of whom are well-known experts in their fields
- Creating content for the Center’s website, blog or other outlets
- Support for public events
Applicants typically have a strong interest in U.S.-Asia relations and may be studying international relations, Asia studies, international economics, public policy, international business or other similar areas of study.
We strive to provide interns with a broad range of substantive work. Interns are occasionally called on to assist in administrative duties but these duties are kept to a minimum. Preferred computer skills include Microsoft Office, including Excel, and internet research. Please make a special note if you have specialized computer skills, including familiarity with audio and video recording and post-processing.
Stipends may be available for internships, depending on funding. All internships can be offered for university credits if your school permits. Internship hours are flexible but we ask that interns commit to a minimum of 20 hours per week. During the summer, we prefer interns who are available 32-40 hours a week.
- Online Application Form (see below)
- Resume with GPA
- One letter of recommendation
- Optional: Writing Sample (2-3 pages)