The East-West Center offers several opportunities for scholars to conduct research at the Center:
East-West Center Visiting Fellowships enable scholars to undertake research and publication in collaboration with EWC staff on selected research themes or on an independent research project related to one of the three Research Program areas:
- Environment, Population, and Health
- Innovation and Economic Growth
- Governance, Security, and Justice
We are currently not taking applications, please check back later regarding the status of our Visiting Fellowships.
- The POSCO Visiting Fellowship Program invites outstanding scholars and policy makers to engage in policy relevant research on political, security, and socio-economic issues in Northeast Asia. The annual application deadline for these fellowships is December 31.
- Our Visiting Scholars Program enables those who do not need financial support for their research to be invited to the Center. Priority is given to scholars whose proposed research is related to the Center's programs. The annual application deadline is March 31.
East-West Center Policy -- All awards, grants and fellowships offered or administered by the East-West Center including extensions are subject to cancellation by the East-West Center. Reasons for such cancellation include but are not limited to a lack of funds, change in the institutional or program focus or direction, or insufficient support personnel or resources. Additionally, international, federal, state, private or other granting authorities may have specific conditions which will apply with respect to extension, cancellation or revocation of awards, grants and fellowships which they provide but the East-West Center administers.
Please be aware that if you will need a J-1 visa for your participation there is an English language proficiency requirement.
You will need to provide ONE of the following:
1. Proof of passage of a recognized English language test
2. Signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school
3. A documented interview conducted by the East-West Center in-person or by videoconferencing (phone interviews will be accepted if videoconferencing is not a viable option)
Signup for Fellowship Announcements -- an Email Update comes out whenever there are changes to the Fellowship process (approximately once or twice a year). Sign up here